Environmental Packaging Alternatives

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Miette Paper Bag by Georgette Packaging

Countries around the world are finally saying goodbye to single-use plastics, and we’re doing our best to get behind the movement. Only about 9% of the world’s plastic is actually recycled, which means the other 91% is ending up in the landfill, wrapped up in the branches of our trees, and in the mouths of turtles! Comparatively, paper has a strong recycling reputation: 65-70% of paper in the US is successfully recovered. We strongly believe in the importance of doing our part for the planet, which is why we offer our customers environmentally friendly packaging options, including 100% recycled kraft paper bags.

Why cut down on plastic?

- It isn’t biodegradable. Plastic can only break down into microplastics, which attract harmful pollutants, are potentially carcinogenic, and settle on the ocean floor, where they find their way into sea creatures’ stomachs (and back to our dinner plates).

- It releases toxic chemicals like BPA when it breaks down. BPA mimics estrogen, messes with our hormones, and is also potentially carcinogenic.

- It’s difficult to recycle any plastic more than 2-3 times.

- Only about 9% of the world’s plastic is recycled (read: 91% of plastic isn’t recycled).

- Approximately 8 million metrics tons of plastic end up in our oceans every year. (This is like a garbage truck full of plastic unloading into the ocean once per minute).

- About 50% of plastic is single use (such as disposable bags and straws).

    Okay, now I really want to cut down on my plastic use. Help!

    Instead of...

    Use...

    Plastic bags

    Paper bags. 100% recyclable white paper, or 100% recycled, compostable kraft paper.

    Plastic straws

    Paper straws, or a “sippy cup” style lid

    Polystyrene hot cups

    100% recycled kraft paper cups

    Black cup lids

    Any other colour! Black plastic is not recyclable in some municipalities, including Toronto, and it contaminates recycling bins

    Manufacturing overseas

    Local manufacturers to significantly cut down on emissions related to shipping and transportation


    Georgette Packaging Book a Consultation

    If you’re interested in any of the above alternatives, get in touch to book a consultative call with us. We’d be happy to point you towards environmental solutions, advise you on packaging best practices, and perform an audit of your current packaging.